Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

diagrid structure : Erection tolerance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddhams

Structural
May 22, 2013
AE

Dear All
I would like to have erection tolerance for diagrid steel structure . As because of same the members are not falling
into neither column nor beam. the structure itself cantilevered , domed . How to define tolerance and what is achievable at site

Regards
M.S.Boobathi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Siddhams:
We can’t see it from here, so we have no real idea what you are trying to do. We could draw a thousand sketches meeting your description, each of them needing a slightly different attention to detail, tolerancing or analysis. So why don’t you draw some sketches with some dimensions, member sizes, loads, etc. to show us what you have in mind? Talk with some local fabricators, contractors and erectors, to see what they need and what they can do.

I suspect that it would be best to discuss this with a fabricator given how specialized the application is. I have Terri Boake's book on diagrids. It doesn't get too deep into tolerances but I've included all mentions below in case any are helpful to you. I suspect that your dome would be less demanding than a lot of these examples.

C01_xg7t8j.jpg

C02_ipofml.jpg

C03_pgwfmt.jpg

C04_cviat8.jpg

C05_zoxbu2.jpg

C06_agqu4k.jpg

C07_hecg67.jpg

C08_mvupbz.jpg

C09_vuhomo.jpg

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back