Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diamond Mesh Finish 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimp178

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2001
GB
Hello All

I have a drawing of a Quartz (Glass) component calling for a 220 Diamond Mesh finish.

Does any one know what is the equivalent is in either Micro inches or metric Um ?

Thanks

JimP
equifilant

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nope, and I don't believe there really is one, since it would depend on the process used (grit blast? lapping? buffing with a cotton buff?). Realistically, I think you could expect about an 8 u-in finish, plus or minus, using 220 mesh grit/polish. A bit higher if used in a tumbler or vibratory deburr process.

The customer may be refering to the grit size in the grinding wheel used for fabrication. I would expect a 220 grit (US mesh size) diamond wheel to produce a 32 microinch or better (probably no better than 20 microinch) finish on fused quartz.

Bruce

Hi jimp187,

Further to my post on a fixed abrasive wheel, I have attached a curve showing surface roughness vs. abrasive size on BK7 glass. This glass is a little softer than fused silica but results should be similar.
Source:
Zschlommer, W. Precision Optical Glassworking A Manual for Craftsmen and Designers. SPIE vol. 472. trans. Sachdev and Maxwell. 1984.

Bruce
www.accuratus.com

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8c2a7250-e5a0-4f6a-9525-f2a7c7ef8b35&file=00000001.jpg
Why don't you simply ask the customer what it means. It sounds like they may have a standard setup for this finish.

At one time we were making a part with wrinkle paint surface. The customer actually supplied paint samples showing acceptable finish and unacceptable finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back