Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diaphragm Pump Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawfordpower

Chemical
Apr 22, 2003
US
My question is regarding the pumping of dregs from a green liquor clarifier. We currently use ODS pumps (plunger type diaphragm pump from Dorr-Oliver, now GL&V). We constantly have leaks, diaphragm failures, and solenoid failures with these pumps. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better type of dregs pump (discflo, pitbull, other?)? Or, does anyone have any best practices as far as preventative maintenance for ODS pumps? Thanks in advance!

raw

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't tell you much about whether we like the pump or not since I don't work the area but we use a Allis-Chalmers - F4H1+731 - 6" X 4" X 8.5" for our Dregs transfer from green liquor clarifier. Checking maintenance history it appears / semi / yearly PMs the odd change out etc so I would guess not a bad pump.

Hi There,

Without knowing your actual pump duty it is difficult to comment.

The Pitbull is something a little special as it has no diaphragms to fail & is a very simple yet effective design.

They have an excellent website: which shows just what the pumps are capable of:

I have seen one in action & it is very impressive.

Cheers,

Berko

PD pumps were used to minimize the shear to the dregs which would minimize particle size reduction. Now that dregs wshers have been replaced by precoat filters, most mills now use a standard centrifugal pump in this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back