Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Die Cast vs. Steel Couplings and connectors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimioy

Electrical
Dec 17, 2003
US
I want to change some of our "Standard Work Practices". I want to ban all die cast fittings and use only steel. Can the argument be made that the steel fittings are better, and if so, how? I know they cost more, but if I can get better bonding results then I'm OK with that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With both types there is a large range in the quality. Assuming that they are both quality products, the only real difference is that the die cast will not take as much abuse (the fitting breaks) and it will fail earlier under fire conditions. I'm not sure that the last one makes any real difference because if the fire is hot enough to melt the fitting the insulation has already melted.
Don

resqcapt19 - Thanks. Those are really the only things I could come up with, also - durability. What is your opinion of set screw vs. compression? Mine is that although I think set screw probably makes about as good a bond as compression and is a faster install, I prefer compression for the professional look it gives a facility. Thanks again.... Jimi

Set screw and compression fittings are both covered by ANSI and UL standards. Both will perform to minimum standards In my experience set screw connectors go in faster (especially if the crews are using cordless drills with nut drivers).
I have read and in my experience that set screw connectors are stronger. There is an artical somewhere on the Loma Pietra earthquake that finds set screw connectors held up better.
HAve you read NECA standard NECA-1-2000? It's a good place to start.

I agree with what was said.
Although I saw a new type of fitting at a project the other day. It was made up of die cast set screw fittings with electrical tape on either side of the fitting :)
Of course they were trying to suck a pull string through the conduit and had too much leakage at the fittings. 10 years later, they never removed the tape so it looked dumb.

Steel is stronger.
Some cheaper grades of Die cast have so little screw travel that if the joint is stressed to the point that the connector stretches slightly the screw can no longer be tightened. (The screw head hits the side of the connector before the end of the screw applies pressure to the tubing.
Bonding issues;
The Canadian code banned the indent type of connector decades ago because of chronic loss of ground integrity.
While still accepted by code, you may have bonding issues with stretched die cast connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back