Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

diesel engine exhaust traps

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanic6

Automotive
Dec 10, 2007
CA
i have run into some curious operating problems with diesel engine exhaust particulate trap equipment.
one is in a fleet of smaller buses used in short run(2 or 3 mile loop,16 hours per day)
the exhaust does not get hot enough,so the engines are going into "regen" mode,and require us to put them in the shop with the laptop hooked into the ECM .
we have had to do this about every 50 hours or so,needless to say its a pain you know where.
we have 5 of these LEHM (low emission high maintenance)busses,so it bites into our manpower a lot.

local Cummins dealer is sympathetic but no long term solution but "put up with it"

any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have to manually place them in Regen mode? At least on the 6.7 units for the light truck market that is all handled by the ECM. Perhaps the manufacturer of the chassis would be the place to ask.

Is there any way you can incorporate a 15 - 20 minute highway run (or whatever is enough to initiate a regen) once a day? Even if it's outside the normal run, it might be cheaper than having to do something special in the shop.

I find it odd that a laptop would have to be connected.

It is odd, isn't it?
I thought that the need for regen was flagged by the delta pressure sensor indicating a particulate filter pressure drop above a level calibrated into the ECM, then the ECM strategy setting off a fueling regime aimed at getting the exhaust gas temperature increased and filter regeneration going.

Bill

hi
thanks all,hemi you are correct,the duty cycle is not getting the exhaust hot enough to self clean.
we cannot alter the duty cycle,and taking them out of service for a highway run is not practical.

the exhaust PCA and engine controls work as they should,i guess what i am after is how to get around this without removing the system.
there is not much that the OEM(Cummins) can do,and the chassis maker just assembles the components so no help there.

if anyone else has been having this problem let me know.

Ken

Have a marine exhaust shop make insulating blankets for the cans. That should get the temperature up some, probably shorten their life a bit, and probably void your warranty, but it may get the maintenance costs down to a merely unreasonable level. You'll know the blankets are working when they fall apart pretty regularly. Expect some (acrid) smoke for the first hour or so.

It shouldn't shorten the cans' life a lot, unless the duty cycle does change to include some high load time, in which case the cans may work without the blankets.

My first experience with particle traps was on generators that couldn't run 50 hours without disassembly and mechanical cleaning, even when artificially loaded. Yeah, ironic; you had to burn triple the fuel you actually needed in order to keep the emission control kluge barely working.

I get the impression that the technology is slowly getting better, but its public face includes _way_ too many optimists.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back