Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diesel Engine Fuel Tank Vents

Status
Not open for further replies.

IJason

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2020
MY
Need clarification on the design of the Diesel Fuel tank vents.

We have a 650 Gallon UL 142 fuel tank to be installed in the fire pump room. NFPA 37 states that vents have to be connected to the outside the building. I am not clear if there is any other conditions ie. size of vent, material, distance etc.

Also is flame arrestor required?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NFPA 37 is technically not applicable as its only two requirements do not apply. The first is overruled by the same more stringent requirement of NFPA 20 and the other just points you to NFPA 30 which is not applicable for oil tanks connected to burning equipment. Just follow the requirements of NFPA 20. In case you are designing an outstanding case of, say, very long lines etc, UL 142 will surely come in handy.

Is there a fire code you have to follow and what year??

Or do you follow NFPA 30?

Vent 12 feet above grade level

Five feet from any opening into any building

I think the vents have to be the same size as the tank opening, or calculate them.

Plus the fill has to be five feet away from the building.

I am not 100% sure which standard to follow as there are other standards related to diesel fuel tank installation like NFPA 30. We are currently using the 2019 version of NFPA.

From research the most relatable standard would be NFPA 37 since my installation is for the Sprinkler diesel engine pumpset unless there's some clause that I have overlooked.

As for the Five feet from any opening into any building, is that for the distance between the vent pipe to the wall?

Any building opening or property line

Thanks for the replies. Really helpful. [bigsmile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back