Electrical
Sep 1, 2017
NL
The ISO standard 8528-1 describes four ratings:
ESP (Emergency Standby Power)
PRP (Prime Rated Power)
LTP (Limited-Time Power)
COP (Continuous Operating Power)
As I understand these four ratings are based on loading hours per year and average loading factor.

Do the diesel engine come with all these four ratings? what is the significance of these 4 ratings in the selection of Diesel Engine?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A single set,that is an engine and generator end, will be given different ratings depending on the service rating. Mostly.
The ratings that I am most familiar with are Prime Power and Standby.
These ratings apply to the same set, depending on the Hz and duty.
Screenshot_2023-09-11_at_13-42-52_P150-5_135_kVA_to_165_kVA_Diesel_Generator_Perkins_Engine_FG_Wilson_zdpj2x.png

In some, but not all, cases, the Prime set may have accessories added to the same basic engine.
The Prime set may have a deeper oil pan or sump to allow more lubricant.
The Prime set may have an oil cooler added if one is not standard on the basic engine.
Prime rating plus 10% equals standby rating.

I once found myself specifying a lot of standby sets.
Back when the Prime sets had different model numbers than Standby sets and Prime data was on a different page than Stabdby data, I spent hours comparing engine numbers and generator end numbers between Standby and Prime sets.
Remember that NEMA prime Power ratings allow a 10% overload for 1 hour out of 12, (Or maybe i hour out of 24. Memory fails,).
That means that the engine on a Prime rated set must be capable of Standby rated output, so,- Same engine. Same governor settings. Same maximum fuel setting.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back