Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Diesel Fire Pump 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

Electrical
Jul 17, 2002
US
I have a 1969 cummins NH-220-IF diesel connected to a worthington sprinkler pump. This is out backup to our electric sprinkler pump. The engin has failed and spare parts are rare while others are non-existant. The cummins dealer tells me that he can find a replacement, however he can not sell to us. Per the NFPA code, the engin can be rebuilt but not replaced. If the engine is replaced, the pump must also be replaced.

If he jerking me around? I know very little about the fire codes.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What's being told to you is not completely accurate. Requirements for the replacement of components is addressed in Section 14.5 of NFPA 20. The requirements are fairly detailed but you can review them for free at once you create a log-in.

Failure of the engine (driver, as defined in NFPA 20) requires that a complete performance test be performed by the pump manufacturer, a factory-authorized representative, or by persons qualified by the Authority Having Jurisdiction. (NFPA 20, Sec. 14.5.2.6).

Section 14.5.2.4 requires that the replacement part, if not listed, must meet or exceed the quality of the parts being replaced.

Your field retest would be based on the original pump curve issued by the manufacturer. If the pump equals or exceeds the pump curve and the pump nameplate data, your replacement complies with NFPA 20

Generally, the applicable standards are NFPA 20, "Standard for the Installation of Stationary Pumps for Fire Protection" and NFPA 25, "Standard for the Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems" Your local standards, or those of your insurance company, may be different.

Chapter 14 of NFPA 20 lists several requirements for engine replacement for a diesel fire pump, including:

1. Parts have to maintain the listing of the component when possible, or if not possible, the replacement parts have to meet or exceed the quality of the parts being replaced.

2. When critical path components are replaced (the engine is a critical path component,) they have to be retested by the pump manufacturer, a factory authorized representative, or qualified persons to the AHJ.

Although I don't think that Worthington pump is around anymore, you should ber able to find a qualified company to help you with this. Qualify whoever you find, ask for a resume that shows their experience with this kind of work. Some fire protection companies are qualified (make sure that their technicians are factory trained by one of the pump companies.) Some pump distributors are qualified (make sure that they are factory trained for fire pumps specifically.)

The dealer may have been mistaken, or he may have been referring to another code.

It may be less expensive in the long run to have a fire protection professional look at your situation. Since it has been so long since the original installation, your needs may have changed. You might not need a back-up pump any longer.

By "fire protection professional" I mean:

1. An engineering firm that is experienced and qualified in fire protection.
2. A fire protection company that is experienced and qualified to help you.
3. Your local authority having jurisdiction (building or fire department.) If qualified and experienced with your installation.
4. Your insurance company may help.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back