Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

diesel fuel additives... efficiency? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacetruckin

Aerospace
Sep 14, 2007
US
Has anyone heard of a diesel fuel additive that is supposed to increase efficiency and be the next big thing?

I have heard bits and pieces but am not sure what to believe. I havent seen any data on this and actually i cant recall the name. I just thought

i would go fishing...
anyone biting?

thnx

st

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Efficiency is increased by increasing the % of fuel combusted within the cylinder. If you have clean exhaust, improvement isn't likely.

Better to post where the experts are:
forum71

Hi, a mine that I worked on in Tasmania was trailing a 'Firepower' fuel additive on their Caterpillar trucks. Try looking under:

I am not a mining engineer and I don't know what the outcome was, but the basis behind the testing program was to look at ways of improving diesel efficiency and cutting back on CO2 emmissions.

mathew.widelski@ausbm.com.au

Beware - lots of scams out there
I've heard thousands of pitches for Fuel additives. Glossy brochures, sketchy scientific theory, obscure scientists, test results on an Indonesian bus fleet and the Mongolian military references.
Ask for independent reputable lab results on the Dyno to support their claims. This normally scares them off.
Still then beware of the switcheroo - the product that is tested is'nt the one you end up with.

As Kenvlach says a tuned and well maintained engine is the best formula

Search Eng-tips there is huge amounts on this topic

FOETS
Some days you're the dog.
Some days you're just the hydrant.
IMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back