Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diesel Storage Tank: Vaporisation rate and Fire Relief 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leclerc

Chemical
Aug 22, 2002
GB
API 2000 enables one to calculate heat input to an atmospheric storage tank. If one has the boiling point at atmospheric pressure and the latent heat of the tank contents at that temperature, then one could calculate the vapour released and size the emergency vent. This is fine for liquids of known chemical composition, but how does one manage with No 2 diesel oil? What is the method for calculating vapour generation rates?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have several choices. If you have a process simulation of the stream, you can heat it up and vaporize a small portion of the stream, say 5%, and calculate use that MW and effective latent heat for your simulations. Or, you can use the MW and the latent heat chart in API 520 or 521 (can't remember which one).

Alternatively, you could use the following arguement. Diesel is composed mostly of C10 to C22 hydrocarbons (I think I got this from the Chevron fuel webpages). You could use the lighter of those and use the chart I mentioned above to estimate the latent heat.

Then just make sure you put in a hatch or something with lots of extra capacity to account for the inaccuries in the above approach.

25362 or Art might have some better ideas also.

API-2000 has the entire procedure for determining the flow rates for No. 2 Diesel. You don't need the specific properties. The rules are based on heptane (or was it hexane?). This is a far more volital (sp) product that diesel, so its conservative. In the overall scheme of things, don't skimp on a vent by performing more detailed calcs. Besides, the local juridiction probably mandates use of API-2000 anyway by reference to NFPA 30.

Steve Braune
Tank Industry Consultants

thank you: I had seen the API hexane-based approach, but initially rejected it since the substances appeared to be totally dissimilar.

I shall proceed with the API approach. It is a new tank andd therefore a little but of conservative fat won't cause any harm.

I absolutely do agree with SteveBraun, as hexane is one of the most volatile product and thus calculations given by API method are really conservative. No real needs to go further into detailled calculations as the ank is a new tank and nozzle can be manufactured accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back