Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Diesel tank on roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniru

Mechanical
May 31, 2023
CA
Can 500 gallon diesel fuel tank for fire water pump package be placed on roof of the pump house? Is it allowed as per NFPA?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Diesel fuel supply tanks shall be located above ground and shall not be buried. Diesel fuel storage tanks preferably should be located inside the pump room or pump house, and the fill and vent lines should be extended outdoors"

In your question about rooftop diesel fuel supply tanks, I am assuming that you want to use gravity to feed the fuel forward .... Is that true ? ... Can you explain ?

But NFPA-20 is clear about the diesel fuel supply line being part of a "looped piping system" ... How will this be accomplished with your proposed rooftop system ?

"Under the AS1940 Standard for the storage of fuel, there are three approved methods when it comes to storing diesel to feed a generator. Burying the tank underground, installing the tank within a fire-rated room, or installing a tank above the ground in a fire-proof bund"

Please respect us and tell us more about your final fuel system design and tank placement

Regards

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Thanks MJ,
Currently I have my diesel tank outside of South east corner of building. Also diesel fuel pump are south east corner inside the building. I need to relocate the tank as south side need to be empty. So one option was to take the diesel tank roof of the building. Other option I have to relocate the tank towards north east corner and route the fuel line all the way to diesel pump from inside of building.

Can you please provide any thoughts on this
Pulp house building is 31 m x 13 m
Thanks

What did your fire insurance rep/ Fire Marshal tell you about acceptable locations ?

Does your MBA take any reponsibility for his actions when he tell you that the "south side needs to empty" ?

There may be insurance/ fire marshal/State issues that come into play here ..

Long, long diesel fuel suction pipe lines may cause NPSH problems for the fuel pumps .... especially in cold weather when diesel stagnant fuel has a tendency to form wax .. !!

You will only find out about the wax deposits (mixed in with ice) on the coldest day of the year ...

Post descriptions/drawings of the layout

My opinion only

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

The fuel pipe will run inside the pump house which is air conditioned room. The pipe exposed outside will provide heat tracing. What if I provide a little slope yo pipe towards pimp.

Thanks

Aniru: Challenge your MBA .... Explain the rules to him

Tell him that if he DeFACTO MANDATES a rooftop diesel fuel storage tank, then HE will bear the consequences of non-code compliance ...

He cannot assign to a confused underling the blame for his poor executive decision ....

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Keeping the disel fuel tank on roof is obsoleted now. Diesel tank will be kept on north east corner and routed the fuel pipe inside of pump house with slope towards pump. Outside exposed piping will be heat traced. Building is air conditioned.
Thanks

Diesel engines require both a supply and a return line. On occasion an arrangement similar to the one you describes places a daytank inside the generator room, and periodically fills the daytank from the storage tank.
Daytank systems can be purchased from outfits like this Check with your local AHJ for additional requirements.

Well, .... I feel a lot better ...

Now that the "disel fuel tank on roof is obsoleted" .... and perhaps the supervising MBA has learned something about those NFPA Codes in this tedious excercise.

Perhaps he will go back to his forte (accounting)instead of dabbling in fire-protection system design ...

Good Luck, Anriu

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back