Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between a non-associative and part with features removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

venomex

Automotive
Jan 12, 2015
IN
Hello,

I have seen that we can copy parts and remove their associativity.

We can further remove the Parameters by using the 'remove parameters' Option.

I would like to know what the difference between the two is?
As far as i know, i dont see the history in non-associative part as well, so editing the part further is same.

What am I missing?

Pratham,
Using NX 11

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Actually I've always had a problem with the fact that so many people seem to confuse being "associative" with being "feature-based", and unfortunately we (meaning the UG/NX people) haven't helped. In my opinion, your example is one where we helped to perpetuate this confusion. The proper terminology used when exporting a model where the 'history' will be removed should have said something different than using the word "associative". Note that the use of the term "associative" predates feature-based (also called parametric) modeling by many years (10 or 15 to be exact). "Associative" originally referred to such behavior as having Drafting dimensions update when the model changed. Or a tool-path being able to be updated after the topology of the model was modified. Now this had absolutely nothing to do with whether a model was feature-based or not, or for that matter, whether is was solid or wireframe or whether it was even 2D or 3D. And to make things even more confusing, if you had a feature-based model used in a Drawing with "associative" dimensions or an "associative" tool-path, using the 'Remove Parameters' function alone would NOT destroy any of these "associative" relationships.

So getting back to your question, in the two scenarios the you've described, exporting a feature-based (parametric) model using the 'Remove Associativity' option or using the 'Remove Parameters' function, the results are exactly the same, getting a model where the 'history' has been removed. At best you could call it non-parametric or even a 'dumb' model, but to say that it was "non-associative" would be misleading and perhaps NOT even true depending on how and when the parameters/features were removed.

Anyway, I hope this helps and did not confuse you more.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back