Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Difference between a Supplier and a Vendor as defined in API RP 588 Source Quality Surveillance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colcav

Petroleum
Mar 8, 2012
US
API RP 588 defines Supplier/Vendor as the following: The entity that is responsible for the actual manufacturing and fabrication (M&F) of the material, equipment, or components and that is responsible for meeting the contractual requirements. As the Corporate Quality Director for my company I am the administrator for the Approved Supplier/Vendor List (ASVL)and I get asked repeatedly what is the difference between a Supplier and a Vendor as they relate to the industrial industry (ex. Pressure Vessel Fabrication shop). I do not have a solid answer as I can ask 10 colleagues and I get 10 different answers. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If there's any room for nuance, I would say that a 'supplier' is the company that both manufactured and delivered an item, while a 'vendor' only delivered an item that they purchased from a manufacturer. In other words, when dealing with a 'supplier', you'll more likely be dealing directly with the manufacturer, while a 'vendor' is just a middle-man. But again, as previously pointed out, English doesn't always provide sufficient differentiation/specificity in cases like this.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

SWComposites and JohnRBaker thank you both for your replies as it makes sense that API combined the two terms (S/V) in their definition such that they can be interpreted as interchangeable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back