Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between AA6061-T651 and T6511 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skint

Military
Mar 6, 2003
SG
I have a query which I hope someone can help with. I recently received an enquiry from a customer for AA6061-T6511 or alternatively T651 in accordance with ASTM B210. However, on checking the a/m ASTM specification, there was no mention of either T651 or T6511.
Can someone enlighten me on this? Preferably, reference to a specification would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Per the Aluminum Association "Standards and Data", T651 is stress relieved by stretching specific amounts after heat treatment or after cooling from an elevated temperature shaping process without further straightening.

T6511 is the same as T651 but "may receive minor straightening after stretching to comply with standard tolerances."

The 2003 standards book (and many others from AA) is available at

IFRS is correct as far as temper goes. The big difference betyween these tempers is that t651 is normally found on cold finished bar or plate products. The t6511 is for extruded products only. Normally when these options are included they mean you have a choice between extruded or cold finished bar products.

specifications:
astm b209 for plate
astm b211 for cold finished bar
astm b221 for extruded bar and shapes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back