Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between artisan and Master series 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

midhunmohan

Mechanical
Nov 12, 2002
IN
hi ,
I would like to know the difference between artisan and Master series . Are the two series compatable with each other and which series would be a better choice to buy??
Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Midhunmohan,

I have personally been a long time Artisen user (about 7 years, version 8) and found it quite powerful. Although we only used Design, Drafting, and Assembly modules it worked fine. In working with other companies using ideas we had no problems sharing igs or model files with Master Series users.

We are now using Ideas 10 (Master series) and like it. Not sure it was worth all the extra money, since I find 95% of all the commands and function the same. Our decision to purchase was somewhat based on what EDS might do with the software in the next few years. I was not convinced that Artisen was going to stick around. In addition we found Ideas 10 had better translators and better methods of output (.jpg, .tiff, etc) for those we work with that are not computer savy.

Hope that helps.

The only real difference between I-deas Master Series and I-deas Artisan is the TDM (team data manager) Full blown Master Series has the ability to have multiple Projects and Library's to manage your data - Artisan has only 1 project and library "Shared / Shared"

Data can still be shared between the systems thru the use of "package files"

Greg

to add to what eng1234 and hutch56 said:

FYI, I-DEAS Artisan Series (IAS) and Master Series (IMS) are/were basically the same software with certain funtionality removed from IAS (notably TDM, access to quite a few higher-end software 'modules' and some complex Surfacing functionality to allow SDRC (originally) to sell it for a lower pricepoint to compete with Inventor, SolidWorks, and SolidEdge (since at that time none of them had real datamanagement of any kind regardless), where those other functions weren't really needed (or could be worked around).

As UGS had purchased SolidEdge from Intergraph b4 they and SDRC were aggregated by EDS, the need for Artisan became the question you referred to, though that whole thing still seems to be shaking out.

For my 2 cents, the 'Team Data Manager' (TDM) in IMS is definitely worth having if you have more than 2-3 people working on the software ON THE SAME PROJECT (and should be an absolute requirement in my mind if you've got more than 5-10), as it is (and has been since I started using it at IMS1.0 Beta) bullet-proof and quite straightforward to use (primarily for data vaulting and version/revision control).

=> If you have a bunch of small projects with little 'sharing' between them then possibly you can get away with Artisan or some combination thereof at the higher seat counts (as all the files are fully compatible UNLESS you do some of the advanced surfacing stuff in IMS and try to read it in IAS, as it just won't let you modify that feature, at least last I knew).

BTW, anyone who tells you this TDM functionality is not important, has obviously never spent the greater part of a day (or week for that matter) trying to track down design data that was created (have prints!) but that was never 'tracked' by a legacy CAD system ;-). Unless of course it's no big deal to recreate the models and assemblies for a 5-sheet E-size drawing, right?

-Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back