Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Difference between ASTM D2487 and D7928?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barow

Civil/Environmental
Jun 6, 2011
US
Hello Gentlemen and ladies.....

Haven't posted in a while and i searched the forum but couldn't find the answer, so i hope you'all don't mind my asking
Pls what is the difference between ASTM D2487 and D7928?
I'm thinking one is with determination of Organics (2487) and the other is without determination of organics? Just wanted to be sure again

Would appreciate any reach out

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you may be confused. D2487 is the USCS soil classification system and D7928 is the hydrometer (sedimentation) portion of a particle size analysis. D2487 does not require the results for D7928. Perhaps you are wondering about the difference between the historical version for particle size analysis, D422 vs D7928?

Also, to add on to what morecoffeeplz said, if you are looking for methods to test for organics, you can use ASTM D2974 to determine the percent organic content if you already know that you have a peat/organic soil. You can also use ASTM D4318 (the Atterberg limits spec) to determine if a sample should be classified as an organic clay or silt via the oven-dried liquid limit test (Section 5.4). You do one LL test with material that has been air dried and compare the results to a LL test on material that has been oven-dried. If the material contains organics, the oven-dried LL will be much lower. Then, you can use the ASTM D2487 spec to classify the material as organic if appropriate. If you look at Table 1 in that spec, you classify a material as organic if the ratio of LL oven-dried to LL non oven-dried is < 0.75.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back