Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference Between Composite Section in (assign section) and Composite Layup in ABAQUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

isyhadh

Marine/Ocean
Nov 23, 2012
GB
In terms of modelling composite in abaqus
did you notice there is section assign for composite and you can also model composite using composite layup?

can you explain to me what is the difference?
many thanks

regards
isyhadh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

many thanks, Dan

can you show me more example on using composite section? because it is quite confusing, I familiar with composite layup but not composite section
if you could forward me more link to abaqus documentation or any tutorial, it will be really appreciated
but it is ok if you don't have time, no problem = )
cheers

Hi everyone!

In my case, I don´t usually use Abaqus/CAE for pre-processing my models. I use Hypermesh to generate the mesh, then I create the input file and I type the necessary commands I need. When I create the composite section by typing *SHELL SECTION, COMPOSITES I have to inuput the thickness, number of integration points, material and orientation, according to the example below.

*SHELL SECTION, ELSET = UMBILICAL, COMPOSITE, ORIENTATION = LOCAL
6.0, 3, HDPE, 0.0
4.5, 3, STEEL, -23.8
4.5, 3, STEEL, 21.8
5.2, 3, HDPE, 0.0

In this case, I created the mesh on the midsurface of the CAD model and I used S4 elements. Is this the best geometry to work with? If not, what would be the best surface (upper, lower or mid) to work with? Additionally, how does Abaqus deal with composite layers? Does it consider that all layers are towards the element normal vector, oppositely or half of the layers are upper and half lower?

Thank you in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back