Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between Involute Gear and Involute Spline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bambila

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2012
US
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the difference between Involute Gear and Involute Spline. I searched lot but no result found.
Also any document could be helpfull.

Thanks

Bambila
Mechanical Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Isn't a spline an extrusion of a gear that's rotated in the axis of rotation?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

IRstuff, I think that would be a helical gear, but maybe I don't understand what you are saying.

I would put the difference at size and use. If I had to put a hard definition on it, I would say a gear has a face width less than the pitch diameter and is intended to contact a rack or another gear using a portion of the teeth. A spline has a face width greater than or equal to the pitch diameter and is intended to contact another spline of the opposite gender using most, if not all, of the teeth.

Splines are for transferring rotational motion along the same axis.

"Involute" is a curve shape, basically what you get when you unwind a string from a spool and trace the path of the string's end. This shape has useful properties for transferring motion.

The spline involute is the same as a gear. Splines generally are double stubbed as to addendums and dedendums. The addendum of a spline in about .5/DP and the dedendum roughly .625/DP while a gear would have 1.00/DP and 1.25/DP addendum and dedendum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back