Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Difference between leak testing (Section ASME V) & hydrotest / pneumatic test ( ASME Section VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaivishnu

Mechanical
Jan 15, 2021
IN
Hi I am newbie. I want to know if leak testing of pressure vessel as per Article 10 of Section V is different from hydrotest / pneumatic test of pressure vessels mentioned in UG 99 & 100 of ASME Section VIII Div 1 . Can i say that hydrotest of pressure vessels is a one-time activity or an activity performed annually or larger intervals, whereas leak testing of joints in pressure vessels is a more regular routine activity.
Basically i want to know if both these methods are applicable to pressure vessels and when to apply each method

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Section V describes how to do NDE. The design code, such as Section VIII Division 1, describes what NDE is required.

Section VIII Division 1 is a new vessel construction code. The hydrotest is an over-stress test (1.3 times design pressure) and is only done once just before the vessel is turned over to the Owner.

NDE during the operating life of the vessel is not addressed by either of these codes. Doing an over-pressure hydrotest after the vessel has been in service is very, very rare. It is also very risky and should only be done after a thorough review by an experienced pressure vessel engineer.

1) Pressure test is not a NDE. The Manufacturer is responsible for the structural and pressure-retaining integrity (with pressure test)
2) Leak testing is a NDE and may be performed using vaccum. Please read ASME V

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back