Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between read-only and view-only 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwalz

Computer
Apr 22, 2003
US
What is the difference between Read-Only and View-Only when opening a file using OpenDoc6? I am writing a background application using API to open a drawing and automatically save it as an eDrawing in another central directory. I am trying to minimize the amount of time that it takes to open a drawing file. Are they any other tricks that you can reccommend to help me speed up the process without making major changes to the drawings during the process? (I am not the person creating the drawings in the first place.)
Thanks for any suggestions!
Janet

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

View-only doesn't load any of the part or assy files, so that should be faster than Read-only.

Wanna Tip? faq731-376
"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

For your purposes of opening a file and saving it as an eDrawing, you will not be able to open the file View Only.

View only is just a graphical snapshot of the SWX file. Opening a file View Only is just like using the SWX Viewer. It does not load any model or parametric data.

Read Only, on the other hand, just opens the file like normal, but does not allow you to overwrite the original file if you make any changes to the model (without a warning at least).

View Only allows you to see what the file looks like, Read Only allows you to open and manipulate the file and save the file to a different name or format, but it will not allow you to update the original file.

To see the difference, use the checkboxes at the bottom of the open file dialog in SWX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back