Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference of AISC(Australian) to AISC(US) - For STAAD Connection design

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr.levy

Structural
Mar 10, 2019
AU
Hi,

Is there any major difference in the Australian steel codes vs the US codes? I know some of the basis of the Au codes are also from AISC guidelines.
I am planning to utilize the STAAD.Pro Connect Edition's connection design and it doesn't have a built in Australian code for the connections.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In terms of direct comparisons of steel codes (AISC360 vs AS4100), they are fundamentally quite different beasts, and I'd go so far as to say they virtually have no common ground when it comes to design eqns and the like. Likely to end up with similar capacities for each limit state.

The ASI (Australian Steel Institute) connection design guides share some common approaches with comparative AISC Design Guides. I know the ASI hollow section design guides roughly follow the same approaches as AISC DG24, but in most cases they have been adapted to the Australian/New Zealand way of doing things (nomenclature + other specifics related to local steel material and section properties). I'd say there might be a lot of common ground in the design models depending on the connection type, but also critical differences that you won't pickup without thoroughly reviewing each design model side by side.

I don't know anything about STAAD, but if you detail connections for use in Australia, using US standards, you will get no joy from Australian fabricators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back