Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different cable lug (M10) applied to different device hole (M8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeroL

Electrical
Oct 15, 2020
PL
Hi all,

Do you know if there exist any standards according to applying different cable lug (for ex. M10) to a different device hole (for ex. M8)? I have to do it, because of the company process. I cannot interfere in the device and I have to use this cable lug.
Of course, I will install the cable lug with a fender washer and so on.

Thanks,
MeroL

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Mr. MeroL
Q. "...any standards according to applying different cable lug (for ex. M10) to a different device hole (for ex. M8)..."
A. It is "undesirable" to connect a cable lug with M10 hole onto a M8 hole device :
a) The M10 lug (hole) would be too [large] for the M8 device. The [contact area] would be seriously compromised!,
b) You should {refrain from/never} [enlarging the device M8 hole}. It would void the device/product warrantee,
c) A possible? "solution" is to {add a short link}; with one end M10 hole for cable lug connection and the other with M8 hole end to the M8 device.
e) Attention: Torque to the recommended torque for M10 on the M10 end and M8 torque on the M8 end respectively. In this case, it would be two different torques!
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back