Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different fittings materials (temporary applications)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt114

Mechanical
Dec 26, 2010
AU
Hello,
I plan to drain about 15 tons of diesel from a tank that has 1" female BSP. We have 1" hose with female camlock fittings (stainless steel) and some 1" male camlock with 1" male BSP (aluminium). Can I mate the stainless steel with the aluminium fittings, provided this only on a temporary basis (a few days max).

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The worst the would happen might be that the connection leaks if they experience differential expansion / contraction and you get some diesel on the floor.

If they seize through galvanic corrosion, you might have to apply some extra force to separate them again.

I had couple of stainless steel fasteners on my aluminium cylinder head, they were a git to remove but that's all.

Unless you have a lot of salt water in this tank I don't see a few days being an issue.
Make sure that you have some procedure in place though to assure the removal of fittings right after the draining is done.
Otherwise temporary becomes a long time and the issues will arise.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

you may try and coat the threads, with a product that is commercial available to prevent corrosion on a temporary basis,
that is resistant diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back