Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different length of a polymeric string at a certain temperature in the cooling and heating phases 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

farzadinjast

Mechanical
Mar 12, 2014
US
Dear Engineers,

I am currently working on finding a model for a specific type of polymeric actuators. A linear motion is generated by heating a string made of Nylon 6/6. I heat my actuator and then let it cool down to the room temperature and measure its length. When I plotted the temperature-length trajectory, I observed that the actuator had gone a different trajectory in the cooling phase than the heating. As the temperature change rate was almost same for the both phases, I expected that it should have had the same length at a certain temperature in either phase.

Do you have any idea what is the cause? Is it the case for all polymers?

Thank you very much in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, how high did you heat it, and how slowly did you cool it?

One explanation might be that the nylon was plasticized by ambient moisture, and the heating phase dried the nylon. It would have been stiffer during the cooling phase once the moisture was removed.

Another explanation might be that the higher temperature increased the creep rate, and the string underwent permanent deformation.

Rick Fischer
Principal Engineer
Argonne National Laboratory

@rickfischer51
Thank you for your reply.
I went to 90C which is beyond the glass transition of Nylon 6/6 in 15 seconds and then let it cool down in still air. It took around 30 seconds for the string to reach its initial temperature.
Regarding the moisture effect, I repeated the test for three cycles each one right after another but I observed the same results. I suppose that the moisture content would be removed at the first heating cycle and then the heating and cooling cycles exactly match each other unless the string could absorb it again in one minute which is the time interval between two actuation cycles. am I correct?
The start and points of the test are exactly same and I can say the permanent deformation is negligible. I am going to attach the result I am talking about.

@IRstuff
Thank you very much.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c5adfd2d-0cc0-4fda-b4d3-f9f89cb3825b&file=My_Pic.jpg
Polymer fibers are stretched when made in order to orient the polymer molecules and greatly increase the strength and stiffness of the fiber. Heating above Tg will allow this orientation to relax and thus the length of the fiber will shrink, permanently.

@rickfischer51
let me explain the figure a little bit. It shows only one actuation cycle with a heating phase in the top part of each trajectory and the cooling phase in the bottom. each plot, with its particular color, corresponds to a different actuation current, as they are indicated in the legend. So, the deflection is different in the cooling phase than the heating but it is same for different actuation cycles with a fixed actuation current.

How accurately is the temperature being measured? Would temperature lag between the reading instrument and the actual polymer temperature explain the hysteresis?

@btrueblood

If it was the case, I guess there would be the same lag for both the cooling and heating, so it wasn't such a difference in the Temp-Disp plot. Am I correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back