Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diffusable Hydrogen Levels - Submerged Arc Wire/Flux Combination - Austenitic Stainless Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

iam42

Industrial
Feb 15, 2007
US
Hi Guys,

Can someone explain to me why SFA-5.39 (Specification for Flux and Electrode Combinations for Submerged Arc and Electroslag Joining and Surfacing of Stainless Steel and Nickel Alloys) does not require a diffusible hydrogen designator like SFA-5.17 does for Carbon Steel SAW.

We are welding some 316 SS spools and our customer is insisting that the wire/flux combination should have maximum diffusible hydrogen content of H4 or better.

I have tried telling him that SFA-5.39 does not require a diffusible hydrogen test. I have also told him that the specification for the hydrogen test, AWS A4.3, does not include testing for Austenitic SS.

Is there anything else that I can tell or show him that I will not be able to get a 3.1 certificate showing hydrogen levels?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Weldstan,

I have tried to explain this to the customer who does not come from a welding background and he just keeps quoting B31.12 A-3.2 (i) even though the code of construction is B31.3!!!

Austenitite has very low solubility for hydrogen, so low that you can can't hydrogen embrittle it.
It is a non-issue in austenitic SS.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back