Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diffusion of Au in Manganese

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelroy

Aerospace
Dec 8, 2005
US
Does anyone have a reference for diffusion of Manganese in Gold (diffusion constant and activation energy is what I'm looking for specifically, but i'll take whatever is out there)?

I'm looking for the same for Au in Nickel. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks! Great link. Not sure if I found exactly what I need (since I'm looking for solid-state diffusion, and that reference cites liquid Mn-Au), but I loved the site nonetheless. I'll look into it, and will surely use it again. Thx again.

Check Smithells Metals Reference Book, 8th Ed. (2004).

For Au-Ni, Smithells Metals Reference Book page 13-47 in the 7th Edn. (1992), gives a table with diffusion data for various compositions. Some data from J. E. Reynolds et al., Acta Met., vol. 5, p. 29+ (1957) rest from B. Khomka, Nukleonika, vol. 8, p.185+ (1963) [maybe check Chem. Abstracts].

Lots of newer data; just google. E.g.,

"...the diffusion coefficients of Ni in Au to be 5.3 × 10[sup]-16[/sup] cm[sup]2[/sup]/s at 500 °C, 4.0 × 10[sup]-17[/sup] cm[sup]2[/sup]/s at 400 °C, 2.5 × 10[sup]-18[/sup] cm[sup]2[/sup]/s at 300 °C, and 1.2 × 10[sup]-19[/sup] cm[sup]2[/sup]/s at 200 °C. An activation energy of 0.87 eV was calculated. The present diffusion data differ significantly from the corresponding values extracted by some other investigators and the reasons for this disagreement were discussed."
from
'Determination of diffusion coefficients in Au/Ni thin films by Auger electron spectroscopy,'
Abdul-Lettif, Ahmed M., Physica Status Solidi (A), Applied Research, vol. 201, Issue 9, pp. 2063-2066 (July 2004).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back