Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diffusor design

Status
Not open for further replies.

es335

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2002
GB
Hi.

Does anyone have any references to how a diffusor should be designed, i.e. angles vs. velocity.
My "diffusor problem" has air as fluid and an inlet/outlet velocity approx. 20m/s - 5m/s. I would like to avoid any detachment.

And, does anyone know if a diffusor flow is inherently unsteady?

Any references to papers or books are welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have some 20 years old papers mainly in German language about the design of injectors.If acceptable,send me a mail to dixie.m@email.si
regards m777182

Check out 'internal flow systems' by D S Miller (BHRA) British hydraulic research assoc. (24 pages on diffusers).
In the days of venturi flumes, to minimise the head loss (& energy recovery), the angles were about 25 degrees (included angle) for reducers & 4 to 7 degrees for diffusers.
If you check out Daugherty & Ingersol (fluid mechanics) 5th edition p 194, the head loss drops down to a min (0.13 v2/2g) at about 4 to 7 degrees, rises to a max (1.15 v2/2g)at about 60, then drops to about v2/2g from 120 to 180 degrees.
Start with Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back