Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

digester tank pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdog67

Structural
Jan 10, 2008
US
Fellers,

i am designing a concrete base/pad for a 1.5 million pound digester that is 24' in diameter. The tank is flat bottom bearing so it is about 3300 psf pressure. we will have 3500 psf soil allowable. What issues do i need to consider for designing the concrete pad since the pressure should be going straight thru

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the pressure is uniform as stated, with well prepared, compacted fill, I don't see the need for concrete pad.

The pad is somewhat elevated from the surrounding level for containment issues so we must support directly on concrete and a stone base on compacted soil.

If the pad is larger than the tank, you should check shear and bending on the ledge as usual for all loads and load combinations, and provide reinforcing as required. If there are tie downs, check shear and pull out strengths. Otherwise provide minimum reinforcement to maintain the connectivity (for local pockets due to soil errosion, uneven settlement...etc). Make sure there is no ground water issues, and the runoff is draining away from the concrete pad.

Have you checked the foundation for seismic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back