Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Digital density meter 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chem55

Chemical
Aug 28, 2003
CA
Can anyone suggest me any manufacturer or distributor for digital density meter (range: 0.2 to 2 gm/ml)?
I would like to use it with continuous pipe line, which can give me digital o/p of process fluid density.

I search on google but couldn't find any density meter which is connected with pipe line for low flow rate (10-15 ml/sec).

I found one density meter Solartron (Type 7835 densitometer) but it is for very high flow rate.

I would like to use it with continuous pipe line, which can give me digital o/p of process fluid density.

Thanks,
Chem55

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try Anton Paar. You will be able to find them using Google.

I have also used Emerson (Fisher Rosemount) coriolis meters for measuring density online, but your flow may be too low.

regards
Harvey (Katmar)

Don't be mislead by the flow rate. Digital density meters such as the Solartron rely on flow rate to overcome the practical aspects of keeping the tube clean and washing bubbles of the tube walls, if they are present in the fluid. They will accurately measure the density of the fluid even if it is not flowing.
Flow is important if the reading is to be representative i.e. if the densitometer is installed in a by-pass (slipstream)then the flow must be such that the measurement it makes represents the measurement in the main pipeline.
Please note, the term digital, as used in the API standards, refers to the method of measuring the density; that is, by vibrating the tube at its resonant frequency. The frequency is measured digitally and processed using microprocessors. There are no analogue stages involved. If you use the term digital to refer to the display, then it can be a digital display of an analogue signal. The term needs to be used carefully.
If accuracy is important, then a new standard is being produced that will help you discriminate between the various vibrating tube density meters and other technologies more clearly. Not all density meters are alaike, even if they are vibrational. Otherwise, much is hidden in the way the specifications are presented.

bchoate
Thermo MeasureTech (www.thermomt.com) has two gamma density process instruments that may work. Instrument cost is comparable to a Coriolis meter such as Micromotion's.
Texas Nuclear's DensityPro is one item. Liquid flow mentioned is not real problem. An enlarged pipe section is adequate for the meter. Pipe, 2" D, is needed for basic instrument. 6-8" section of 2" pipe mounted vertically is adequate. This stays liquid full and the density measurement lags the process by 7 times the residence time in the measurement chamber. Although the meter is measuring continuously, at least 7 turnovers of the measurement chamber are needed to indicate a change in process density. If a 'Z' arrangement is used (density measured along long axis), 1" D pipe can be used for this meter.

AM870 is an Australian meter. 10 mm piping can be used in a 'Z' configuration with this meter. Updated density measurements can be achieved very quickly.

Both meters are marketed by Thermo MeasureTech in Round Rock, Tx.

Couple of points here, if you are asking about digital density meters is it because you just want a digital display or are you looking for the fiscal measurement accuracy that goes with that term?
Note also that while various density meters may appear to have the same performance according to the specifications published, these usually refer to the performance at 20degC and you then need to explore what happens away from the lab calibration conditions. As Shakespear says, "not all that glisters is gold".
Points to look for are temperature effects; velocity of sound effects, pressure effects (and beware pulsating pressure with bent tube devices, cross talk, and then calibration... how many fluids?
The term "Coriolis" density meter needs explanation, this refers to coriolis meters that also measure density. Density is a function of the resonant frequencyu of operation not the coriolis effect. In vibrating tube density meters there is also a coriolis effect present. Solartron exploited this when they were the first to introduce single straight tube density meters (full bore) but the design is based on one optimised for density and it never had the coriolis performance of dedicated coriolis meters. The micromotion Elite claims to have density measurement performance of a fiscal standard. Not all other "coriolis" density meters have this performance.
Krohnes single straight tube mass meter has a lot of inovative features that would have helped Solartron, had they continued their own mass flow meter, but it has no bellows and has a more significant temperature effect on density.
Groovy mentions Viscosity. I did a check on the Krohne site and did not find this referenced. Viscosity measurement is a valuable quality parameter and indicator of other quality parameters. Again we come up against the old conundrum of whether to go for multi-functionality in a single instrument. Buying a mass meter for viscosity measurement is a lot to pay if you don't need the other parameters. What viscosity performance do you get and how valuable is the measurement? Micromotion used to offer viscosity measurement based around their "D" type mass flow. There is no mystery to this method, it simply used pressure drop emasurement across the tube and the familiar relationship between pressure drop, flow and viscosity. IF this is what Krohne offer, then why? This approach cannot offer the performance of a dedicated process viscometer. Today there are many digital viscometers available for the process environemant. Again, not all are as good as each other but they can equal the performance of a process capillary viscometer which the dP across a mass meter cannot.
SO far as i know there is only one mass meter that measures viscosity without using the pressure drop approach but i believe this uses amplitude measurement not bandwidth so is not digital. I don't know how it performs.
Mass flow meters do have the potential to measure density, mass flow rate and viscosity all at once. However, if that method depends on the amplitude, i doubt the performance and because of the construction of such devices i also doubt the performance if they were able to manage the trick of making a bandwidth measurement (for viscosity)at the same time they make a phase shift measurement (for flow).
However, if anmyone has any information to the contrary or can reference any data on coriolis meter viscosity performance i would be very greatful.
Bottom line, what accuracy do you need? and do you really need that density span? Both are key points in choosing your instrument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back