Dim Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

780Oilgains

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2024
CA
Hello,
I need some advice on how to dimension a shaft. The front 1" needs to have a tighter tolerance than the rest of the shaft. How do I show this properly?

DIM_n9qqts.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Add a 1 inch long chain line alongside the shaft, about .05 inch spacing, and put that tolerance on that chain line. You may want to note that there should not be any sharp transitions, though since ASME Y14.5 has no such blending controls in it, you are on your own to ask the producer what they would do.

Were it my part to make it is likely I would machine the remainder of the shaft to be smaller to make grinding to a smaller tolerance on the 1 inch section easier to do, so note that as an option.

You may also wish to use the CF symbol to indicate that the part on either side of the groove is considered a single surface as well as to specify some runout control.

Look more closely at the interaction between the wall thickness tolerances and start and end length tolerances of the internal taper.

The taper dimensions to the ideal sharp intersections will be hard to make and harder to inspect. Are they really necessary?

Is wall thickness really what's important to you, or could you use ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back