Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dim Styles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bd9607

Structural
Oct 7, 2008
US
We just got Inventor 2013 and I am in the slow process of getting it ready for company use when I get free time. One annoying thing I cant seem to figure out is how to apply a dim style as the standard. I created a dim style and saved it to the style manager. But however ever time I create a dimension it uses the basic style and not the one I created. How do I tell Inventor to use the one I created instead of having to select them and then change the style.

Sorry for what is probably a real basic question. I am sure to have many more simple questions.

Thanks, Alex

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

HI bd9607

I think this might be the same thing I was experiencing and the way I found to do it was this:-

In the projects area set it to default. Then make sure that the 'Use Style Library', 3rd one down, is set to YES.

In the Styles Editor Box on the LHS at the top you will note the Standard to which Inventor has been set, mine is Default Standard (ANSI-mm)

Scroll down to the 'Text' heading and expand that - this is where I create my text styles.

If you want to use a specific text style for dimensions used in your drawings click on the name that has is similar to the top heading, m case, Default - mm (ANSI).

on the RHS open up the TEXT tab and click on Primary Text Style. This will list all of your text styles, pick the one you want and save it.

Now when you dimension a drawing the text will alter to your style. You may need to follow this procedure when setting other parameter text.

I hope this works for you, I only worked it out a few hours ago.

Best Rgds,
Dave R

21Pom-
I found the place I think your talking about. I hit the projects button at a blank screen, is that the projects area your referring too? I switched to default, and the 'Use Style Library' only gives me the option of read-only or read-write.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Yep that's the one. REMEMBER once you have set all your text parameters save you drawing as a template and then change the Style Library from Read/Write back to No.

My list above is not well presented so I will go over each step again and write it in a more readable format - I Hope!!

Best Rgds
Dave R.

Hi Alex,

This may not be the best way of doing things nor the correct way, but it works for me.

Start Inventor

Click on Projects

Select ‘Default’ in the top part of the dialog box. Make sure that it is ticked.

In the bottom section select ‘Use Style Library’, 4th one down, RMB and select YES

Open up the drawing file template to be used.

On the Manage tab select Style Editor.

In the top LHS of the list is ‘Standard’. Expand this, if needed, and select ‘Default Standard’.

RMB and select ‘New Style’ from the drop down box. Name the style and click OK.

RMB on the new style and click ‘Active’ from the drop down box. The new style should then be in bold text.

Go down to ‘Text’ and expand this.

RMB on any one of the styles shown and select ‘New Style’ from the drop down box and name it. Click OK

Select the new style and on the RHS you make the appropriate alterations to Text Style, Size etc. click the ‘Save’ tab at the top of the page.

Expand the ‘Dimension’ tab, further up the list on the LHS.

RMB on the Default mm (ANSI) – (this is my set up) – and select ‘Replace Style’. In the pop up box expand the list and select your new style. Click OK.

When you have finished adding all your styles click ‘Done’, bottom right.

Click the ‘I’ icon and go down to ‘Save As’. WAIT for the tab to expand and select ‘Save Copy As Template’.

Close the drawing BUT DO NOT SAVE THIS FILE!!, click NO.

In any of the new projects that you make up ensure that the ‘Use Style Library’ is set to NO.

You can of course make up different drawing templates for different project by simply using the above set up in a particular project.

Hope this helps

Best Rgds,
Dave R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back