Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dimension units changing when drawing opens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiocad

Structural
Apr 6, 2001
US
We have a user here, that is having an odd issue. (I have been unable to duplicate it, just see the files after.)

Autocad 2015, SP1. (Yes, I know SP2 is out, but it creates a bigger problem for us than it solves)

The part is drawn in model space, and all text and dimensions are done in paperspace, through viewports.

Typically happens on aux views, or enlarged views. Typical dimension style, snap from the end of the part to the first hole, give a dim of 4 (fractional units, no decimal, etc). The drawing is saved, and she reopens it later, and that dim now reads 4.0000. Other dimensions have not changed, and when I list them, I can't see where it is coming from. Any hints appreciated.

In the file I uploaded, I listed the two selected dimensions, and screengrabbed. I can see no difference between the two, other than one is horizontal, and one aligned... If I paste properties from the right one, the top one changes to 4. If I paste the other way, no change to the right one.

At a loss.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ce9f279e-031e-4ed0-adba-6427ee224378&file=Capture.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for responding chicopee. This is still driving me batty.

Can't reset the dimlfac back to 1, these dimensions are in pspace, with fit set to "Scale dimensions to layout" and that is where acad matches the viewport zoom factor. (At least, that's how I understand it, but the viewport is zoomed .5xp, so the inverse would be 2, in my book...(not sure where the -2 is coming from, other than it being paperspace)

Not sure I understand your last statement, about twice that of the dims on the X. I've checked the model in the file, and the dims are both about 4" (rounded from 3 decimal places), and offset for holes is also shown correct. (Unless you mean the delta in the coords, because of half scale view)

The delta x value between the first and second extension defining points is 2.000 which I think describe the extension lines of the top dimension of 4.0000, therefore, DIMLFAC has to be restored to 1.0000.
Another option is go to the MODIFY pull down menu, then Properties, then pick the 4.0000 dimension which will show a new property for that pick, then go to Primary Units> Dim Scale Line and change to 1.000.
If that works then match properties other dimensions. If that does not work then I believe that the ACAD program for that design has LISP programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back