Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dimension with Equal Sign on either side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboeng99

Mechanical
Sep 11, 2014
US
I have received prints from a customer that had equipment designed in Europe. There is a dimension scheme on the page that I have not seen before and can not find a ISO standard that discusses it. It is a linear dimension between to cylindrical features (hole or boss) and on either side of the dimension it has two parallel lines going horizontally. See attached image. My assumption is that it is some kind of parallelism instruction. Could someone please help me understand the meaning.

Thanks

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=03603eba-ebce-492e-b48f-ec646aca4b9d&file=Dimension_with_Equal_Signs.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Means symmetry indeed. The sketch doesnt provide however the reference line for symmetry. Seems like the screendump is incomplete, as now the equal sign doesnt mean anything.

Thanks Kenat I will try posting there as well, I wasn't sure since they use and ISO 2768 standard if it would be discussed here.

XL83NL,
I thought it was symmetry or parallelism also, but there is not another reference line. I think the person who drew it is using assumption of the symmetry line since the part is visually symmetric. The remainder of the drawing shows the two cylinders continuing down to a flat rectangular plate and that is pretty much it.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back