Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensioning Compound Angular Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richcad

Aerospace
Aug 20, 2007
US
Lets say I'm drilling an angular hole through a block through the Z plane. The hole is at an angle to both the X and Y Planes. A tooling ball is also placed on the block for dimensioning the hole.

I need to give the machinist an angle of rotation and angle of tilt plus the X & Y distances from the tooling ball for him to place the hole.

Here is my problem, depending on how which angle I rotate first in solid edge draft, (I've tried both) I come up with 2 different sets of distances from the tooling ball.

I've talked with our NX drafter and he does this by taking a cross section along one plane then takes another cross section of that cross section to the other plane. I'm not able to reproduce this technique in solid edge. It seems you can't cross section a cross section in solid edge.

Has anyone else tackled this problem before or can point me in the right direction?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back