Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensioning in Detail Views ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWISGR8

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2005
US
I did a quick search on this in FAQs but don't know what to call it, so didnt find anything. My situation is that I am trying to dimension in a Detail view to a centerline in the parent of the detail view, BUT that centerline is not in the Detail view (it cant be due to the magnification required). I think I've done this before (or confusing with something similar) so I think it can be done, but just cant for the life of me remember the steps.

Anything anyone?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can go to view and turn on either temporary axis or coordinate systems and then you will be able to dimension to them. You will have to go in and modify the dimension to hide the one set of extension lines. Hope that helps.

Try first making the boder of your detail view large enough to get all the entities you are dimensioning, then reduce the size of your detail border. Change scale as needed.

I like the input, but unless I am thinking something different, maybe with ordinate, there was way of doing it that was not as a "work-around", more direct and accomplished through SW functionality. Maybe it was ordinate, for dimensioning off zero ... I could be all wet on this though. thanks again, looks like your way will work, but I am stubborn ...

You could use a model dimension from a sketch. You are looking to create a foreshortened dimension.
1)Add the desired dimension to a sketch in the model.
2)Add a temporary view to the drawing.
3)Add the dimensions of the sketch to the temp view.
4)Shift + Select the dimension you want to add to the detail view and drag the dim into the detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back