Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensioning in Solidworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustdogbrown

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2003
US
I know how to create a new dimensioning in a Drawing, that much is easy. What I would like to know is how to show a hole call out for a hole that was created in the part mode. I have been calling them out manually but would like for the dimension to appear already formatted with tap size, depth, coutbores, etc. automatically. Any Suggestions?

regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at these functions:
1. Hole wizard to create the hole.

2. If making the hole manually in a part from a circle in a sketch, you can still add all the annotations, GDT, etc. to the circle dimesion in the sketch while you are designing.

3. Insert model dimensions (and notes, etc.) in your drawing views. (Then the callouts will show up). You might want to do this by manual selection rather than globally this manually.

Look it all up in the help and give it a whirl.

Of course, I'm assuming you also know that you can add all the annotation stuff to dimensions and change their format in a DRAWING using their properties?

3/4 of all the Spam produced goes to Hawaii - shame that's not true of SPAM also.......

There is also an insert hole callout in the annotations options. This works pretty well. You may need to customize the callouts if they are not to your specs though.

I want a call out to show up that feeds off of the information of the hole that I created in the model using the hole wizard. So that if I decide to change the hole from a M10x1 to an M12x1 in the model that update is automatic in the model. I know about insertng the model dimensions, but that only calls out diameters and linear dimensions. I want other aspects of a dimesnsion to show up like thread call out, and pre drill(tap drill) size.

Regards

Yes, I ahve tried using the Hole Callout option in the annotation menu. It will display the diameter and the depth, with the appropriate symbols, however, they are not accurate.

I feel that I have exhausted the help option.

Any other ideas? Thanks for all the responses by the way.

It just seems like there should be an easy way to display all the informaiton inputed into the hole creator(whether it be for couterbores or tapped holes) in the drawing automatically that follows some dimensioning standard format. Am I expecting too much from Solidworks?

Regards

Actually I think you can customize the way the hole call out shows up and still have it linked to the part.

Try editing the calloutformat.txt file under your SolidWorks directory.

But what you may be looking for is right click the hole dimensions and select display options and select define by hole wizard... if there is more info you are trying to add to the call out, then you may need to customize the hole call out file.
I hope this helps you rust dog, I had a hard time fully understanding what you were asking... But it is probably just me, I am having brain fade real bad today.. [bugeyed]

That last post was helpful, thank you. But I don't have "define by hole wizard" as a display option. I am operating 2001 so there might be a difference. Thanks again.

rustdog,
I have modified the calloutformat.txt file located in C:\Program Files\SolidWorks\lang\English
Give that a try. Remember to keep a copy outside the SolidWorks directory. Each upgrade will over right the file.

Bradley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back