Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensioning Multiple Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeck

Mechanical
Jul 4, 2005
CA
Is there a way in Solid Edge Draft to make the hole callout automatically grab how many holes of the same type?

"2X DIA .125 THRU"

In assembly it can pattern to holes that are created within the same step or feature, so draft should be able to count how many holes there are.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could Expose[/color blue] the pattern quantity in the Variable Table from assembly/part environment. You can then retrieve this from Callout command.

I don't see how you could use the expose variable feature in this case. A hole diameter would use a dimension, not a callout to indicate its size and using a dimension, I don't think you have access in prefix to retrieve an exposed variable. Also, the variables are two folds, one for number of holes in X, one for the Y qty. Is there a way to combine both?

Vriyg,
The Callout command has all the necessary annotation tools to properly callout holes made with the Hole command. You can build it by hand or use the Hole Callout annotation which can be preconfigured to use specific annotation dependent on the hole type selected(simple, threaded, counterbore, etc...). You can then also add a Property Text item that uses the exposed variable for the count, but the only way a count would be available as a variable would be if a hole was patterned. If the hole was placed multiple times during a single hole command instance, then there is no count.

Ken

I believe the unit type for the variable is scalar. You can change its decimal places in Advance Units under File Properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back