Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensioning to hidden lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranchero

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2003
US
Just started using SW2008. I am slowly getting the hang of it. In Draft, I have a side view of a part and I want to dimension from the surface to a hidden line showing in the view. Problem is, smart dimension will not pick the corner of the hidden line (bottom of a cutout). I really do not need to make a section view, just want to dimension to the hidden line. I looked in Options, System and Document for some setting that might permit this, if there is I sure can't find it. Is there a setting I am missing or is it really not possible to snap to a hidden line?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dimensioning to hidden lines is technically a no-no...

But I believe that it is under selection... HLR?

Take care...

Take care & have fun!

Kevin
"Hell, there are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something." - Thomas A. Edison

ranchero,

Since you are new to SWX you may have a lot of habits from previous CAD systems, such as dimensioning your drawings manually. You should first use Insert -> Model Items or better yet the Model Items icon to insert into your drawing the dimensions from the part file. Once you get the hang of this you will find less and less need to add manual dimensions.

In lieu of dimensioning to hidden lines, perhaps you can make a section cut and dimension to the object lines there.

- - -Updraft

Ranchero -

As others have pointed out - technically a "no-no", but you don't want to insert a whole new section view....

....check into "Broken Out Section"

Thanks to all for the quick response. I have spent hours on other aspects of SW to understand what it does and how it reacts to changes. CBL's-- Tools > Options > System Options > Display/Selection --- Allow selection in wireframe and HLV modes -- solved my issue. I will have more questions coming.

Updraft,

I dimension most of my drawings manually because I am doing top down design, and most of my models are not set up for dimensioning. When I finalize my drawings and I remove the parametric controls at the assembly level, I try to replace them with local controls that conform to my drawings.

I insert model items when I can, but if I was expected to work this way, you would have a hard time getting me to stop using AutoCAD.

Critter.gif
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back