Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensions - Holes at a Pitched Angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwatts

Industrial
Jan 4, 2004
GB
Guys,

Here's the problem...

We currently manufacture cages for control valves. These can be a simple machined tube (o/d x i/d x height) with a number of holes drilled through around the circumference of the cage e.g. 5 lines x 8 rows = 40 holes at 4.5mm dia.

To model the cage is straight forward, however when it comes to detailing a drawing in 2D it becomes tricky. This is often due to the fact that some holes can be drilled at different heights from a datum point and also showing the pitch angle to create the hole is a task itself. At the moment to dimension the pitch angle this is done by linear dimension and changing it to a "blank" entering the angle value through the dimension prefix option.

This is ok until you change the pitch of the holes in the part model in which the "angle" dimension in the draft application does not update. I have attached a PDF view of a typical cage to help explain.

What I am looking for is a better and more slicker way of detailing these cages.

Hope you all understood my problem/task. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Now currently on Solid Edge ST

Severn Glocon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In an end view, show the holes as hidden detail and add a centre-line using the hidden edges of the hole. Dimension to the centre-lines and they should stay associative when you change the angle.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

beachcomber,

That suggestion is fine if there is a low number of holes going around on the same pcd.

However, when there is a variation of holes sizes at different pitches then this can be confusing when shown as a hidden detail.

Thank you for your input...Brian

Severn Glocon

bwatts
Could you possibly include the par file and maybe the detail how your currently doing it. I deal with stuff like this a lot. I could maybe help

Solid Edge V20

Hi Cadman1964,

It would be interesting to see how you could help us on this. Leave me some contact details perhaps.

Notice you are using Solid Edge v20, which could be tricky as we are using ST now (but in traditional mode). There will be ways around this I am sure.

Thanks for your assistance...bwatts

Severn Glocon

Apply section(s)? Dimensioning to hidden detail is discouraged in most drafting standards.

Sections can be 'stepped', they don't have to be along a single straight line.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

The problem here is that you can't use a stepped section because it's around a cylindrical part.
I know dimensioning to hidden detail is not preferred, but sometimes you just have to do it.
I would create a series of section views that enable you to show the holes in hidden detail - again it is not preferred to show hidden detail on sections, but if it solves the problem I would do it. You can also use the 'View Depth' command to limit the holes shown.
You could cheat and remove the hatching from the section, then use edge painter to change the hdden detail to solid line, then manually re-hatch.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back