Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensions in Drawings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguin221

Industrial
Sep 11, 2003
US
Ever since I started using SW, I have had problems getting the dimensions I want to have on a drawing.

The problem I am having, is that a few dimensions that I would like to have on the drawing need to be created in the drawing by picking edges. However, most of the time SW won't allow me to pick those eges to dimension to. Some tiem it says something about not a tru edge and others I am just not allow to pick the ede at all like it doesn't exist.

How do I get around this?

Stephen Getsy
Product Development Engineer
Silgan Plastics

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Insert model items\Dimensions will bring you Part dimensions in.

The reason you can't pick is hard to say without seeing it. To dimension to an arc is has to be true, to dim ot a line it has to be a line and not a spline. There are rules for dimensioning in SW. It's going to vary depending how and what you are doing in your drawings.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

I have found that if you take the time up front and create your sketches with the dimensions in the location (views) you want them to be when you bring them into your drawings (insert model items) most of the time your drawings come out just like you intended them to.

When the edges that you are trying to dimension to will not cooperate. I normally work around that by creating points and mating them coincident to to lines/edges. Fix them to keep from moving. Then you can use the newly created points to create your dimension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back