Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensions positioning in drawings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxbyMike

Mechanical
Jun 18, 2001
CA
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me, I developed a assembly with 318 different configurations, and there over all size varies quite a bit. When I switch between the different configurations the dimensions remain in the same spot. They either lie on the drawing or out in the middle of nowhere. I tried to use baseline dimensions, but that didn't work either. I want the dimensions to remain a common distance away from the views. Can anyone HELP!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know, this can't be done. I have the same problem when my programs create custom configurations. I have not found a way around this yet. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Hmmm, I talked to some support guys at our SolidWorks provider and they said "the best way" is using the API functions for the dim. placement. I have no experience with VB and am slowly trying to learn it. I noticed that you have a good understanding of the VB side of solidwork and maybe what they told me can be some use to you. They said to use the Annotation::SetPosition and Annotation::GetPosition functions. So far this means very little to me but I'm working at it.. Maybe you'll have a better understanding of what they mean.
Thanks again.
mikepacholski@hotmail.com

Dimensions are not supported by the SetPostion method at this time. As of SolidWorks 2001, the method only supports these objects:

Notes
Geometric Tolerances
Weld Symbols
Surface Finish Symbols
Datum Target Symbols
Datum Feature Symbols

DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

I have found on some occasions, that if when you are in the sketch of a model, you can align the dimensions to the sketch. (Manually pulling them to a desired location) When you go to the drawing an insert that model and insert the dimensions as well. The dimensions usually show up where you left them in that sketch. But it depends on which view you are viewing though. But since you have 318 different configs makes this a little harder to do (understatment of the year). :)

Also,

We have a panel program that was made custom by a certain company. We had the same problem with having the dimensions fly off the sheet. I spoke with our CAD manager and asked him what they used to help control those dimensions. He said they used "Create text". I don't know if that or any of this helps. But just thought I might jump in and let all of you know.

Cheers, Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
George Koch Sons,LLC
Evansville, IN 47714
sjb@kochllc.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back