Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensions rounding incorrectly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rep001

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2006
US
Using NX4, Drafting, Model messures .0625, drawing shows .062 if 3 place and .0625 if 4 place. It should round up to .063. dose anyone know why this is happening or a setting to check.
Thanks
Robert

If this has already been posted, sorry, I cant serch from my browser.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, but rounding 0.0625 to 0.062 is correct!

The standard rule in Engineering is that when the last significant figure is a 5 and you are rounding to the next place, if the number in that place is EVEN, you drop the 5 and leave the number unchanged. If the number is ODD, you drop the 5 and add 1.

Examples:

0.0625 rounds to 0.062
0.0635 rounds to 0.064

UG/NX has always performed rounding in this manner and there will be no consideration given to changing this behavior.

BTW, this is done so that statistically, the overall impact of 'round-off error' is minimized.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

John,

Thanks for your answer to this one I've seen it before and often wondered about it myself.

I can't remember but I know you have posted replies to this question many times previously. Perhaps the answer ought to be posted as a FAQ. Is there an environment variable or customer default that controls how the rounding behavior is applied? I wonder if when Robert says that the result is wrong he may be meaning that he just prefers to apply the old grade school logic that we were taught which is that you always round up. Most standards may disagree with people who make that assertion but people seem to want to be able to do it anyway.

Best Regards

Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back