Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Direct Mixing for heating problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

devaxrayz

Chemical
Feb 8, 2004
US
Dear all helpful member,

I was trying to upgrading my oil treating facility heating system. We want to heat a crude oil steam using waste steam condensate. Heating is done by injecting the steam condensate into the crude oil stream. Downstream, the mix temperature of oil and condensate will be measured by temperature element and signal from this element is used as feed for flow control valve (FCV) which controlling the rate of condensate injected to oil stream.

My question: is there any method to determine the pipe distance requirement between point of mixing and point of measurement? I want the transmitter to measure quite real mix temperature, and for this i think both of fluid should already well mix before it is measured.

thanks all

cheers,

-Rayz-

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

25362, what do you mean by segregation? you mean that the condensate will not mix with the fluid?

The crude oil i'm talking here is mostly consist of water (about 80 to 90%)flowing in turbulent manner. So i think steam condensate generally can be mixed with the fluid.

We trying to heat this fluid from 170 F to 190 F

thanks alot,

Rayz

With turbulent flow and a thin fluid to start, you should get a good reading after 10 pipe diameters.

25362 is right-without the turbulent flow the oil will separate from the water, and even WITH turbulent flow the best you can hope for is an emulsion, not a solution. Won't make much difference for heat transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back