Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dis-colouration on Chromic Acid Anodized Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewPatterson

Aerospace
Jul 22, 2010
US
Hello all,

My name is Matthew Patterson, a manufacturing planner in aerospace and a first time poster on this forum and so far I am impressed through the readings of other threads the diversity on this website. So I'm going to try my luck here today!

I'll give you what I'm working with:

Material: Al 6013 sheet metal in T6 condition (received in T4) AMS4347 .040" Thick.

Process: Chromic Acid anodizing (Type I class 1) using 40 volt processing and hot DI water sealing.

Problem: randomly recieving parts in post-anodic condition with dark staining on the material which is transposed (mirrored) to the opposite side of the sheet.

Affected areas contain a slightly higher concentration of copper and slighly lower hardness value (both still well within AMS4347 specification).

I attached a few pictures but it is difficult to photograph the staining condition. The camera we use does not take well to anodic coatings. Please look carefully to find the random areas of dark discolouration as they are much more apparently in person.

As aluminum sheeting is not porus I cannot see any chemicals able to penetrate through the material and re-processing the parts does not eliminate the stains.

If anyone has any ideas as to what is causing this I would be most appreciative. If any clarification or if more information is needed please let me know.

I appreciate everyones time!

Matthew Patterson

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is an alkaline clean in Ridoline 53 just before heat treat to T6 condition.
Then LPI, vapour blast with wet 180 grit aluminum oxide then the anodic coating is applied.

Matthew,

I think you are seeing the effect of chemical segregation. Can you be more specific regarding the copper variation in that area? How was this ascertained?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back