Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disappearing cursor (crosshairs) in AutoCAD 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHTPE

Structural
Jun 11, 2008
US

Every now & then the cursor in AutoCAD 2015 simply disappears. This occurs in pure model space or when in model space through a viewport. The mouse pointer appears wherever it is outside of AutCAD's drawing space or in another application. Entities will highlight if the cursor happens to be over them, but I cannot see the cursor.

I have tried the various remedies suggested in a Goggle search of this issue but have had no luck in solving the problem permanently.

My current workaround is to exit AutoCAD and reopen it. Everything is fine for a while (sometimes a very long while), but then can reoccur. The time interval is inconsistent, and I have not observed any specific sequence of actions that will cause the cursor to disappear.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Has anyone discovered a real solution?

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know what's happening yet, but some ideas to try:
Check and if necessary, change the background colour, and the crosshair colour. Note that colour 7 "white" can toggle to black under certain conditions, to ensure contrast. One thing that can hamper this contrast toggling is to select a slightly off-white, or a slightly off-black (eg, colour # 250). Then the colours won't toggle but the cursor could be essentially black on black.

Check the selection box sizes. Possible that the selection box size is set to "0"?

Do you have an image inserted into the model space over which the cursor disappears?

STF

STF - Thanks - I will try the color change the next time it occurs.

I never change the selection box size during a session - I set it once when I first set up AutoCAD, to an appropriate size for my graphics combination, and then leave it. Never heard of AutoCAD changing it on its own.

I haven't paid too much attention to any correlation with having an image inserted in the drawing. Occasionally I use .pdf underlays, and rarely insert .jpg files. Though my standard titleblock has my seal in a block (into which I've inserted/linked a .tif file). But when the cursor disappears it's over the entire graphics window in AutoCAD and not just a particular area.

The mouse pointer does appear wherever it normally would elsewhere on the screen.

I'll post again the next time I experience the quirk and have tried the color change.

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

I still have not found a fix for it but this drives me f%*@ing bonkers when it happens. I have had the exact same experiences both in occurrences and attempts to fix it. Our drafter has had similar experience and similar luck fixing it.

Professional and Structural Engineer (ME, NH, MA)
American Concrete Industries

Have you tried switching to a "vanilla" configuration profile, or toggling the workspace to "Drafting"? Have you even changed these settings...?

I assume you have a drawing that consistently has this problem. Have you opened a blank of the template you use, and attempted to rebuild the same conditions?

STF

SparWeb: First the issue has to reoccur - it has not since I posted this.

The Workspace is set to Drafting. The issue as best I can recall does not correlate with a particular drawing file.

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back