Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disappearing Toolbars

Status
Not open for further replies.

phodge

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2003
SE
I am using Catia v5r11 on an IBM RS6000 workstation, OS AIX. Recently I have encountered a situation where toolbars are disappearing when I attempt to click an icon. This has happened in GSD, sketcher and part design.

When I go into VIEW > TOOLBARS, the toolbar is active and should be visible, but doesn't appear on the desktop. I have tried the 'restore toolbar positions' and 'restore toolbar contents' within the VIEW > TOOLBARS > CUSTOMIZE menu, but this has no effect. Even shutting catia down and restarting doesn't seem to have an immediate effect.

The toolbars eventually reappear usually if the workstation is shutdown for any significant length of time i.e. overnight.

Anyone experienced the same problem?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Normally if you do not have space around your Catia Window border the toolbars are hidden along the edge of the window by the Catia Logo and can be brought on screen by dragging your mouse with button held down along the window above the lower corner.

Are you familiar with this or are you saying when you see the tool bar and click an icon the toolbar disapears. If that's the case I don't know how to help you out.

Michael
[penguin]
so that's where the animals came from, I Never used the shortcut's in smiley window

We have the same issue with multiple users, we are on
R10 SP4, windows xp. Usually a minimize and then a maximize
will restore the buttons, if that doesn't work then my next
option is to restart Catia, finally if that doesn't work I
"restore toolbar contents".

It seems to be a bug with Catia, I have even dragged every toolbar onto the screen to be in its own window and still
have run to the same problem. I have a feeling that it is
graphics card related, I am using a ATI Fire GL Z1 Video card.

Anyone else have this problem ???

hi,

We had that pb, but because we are used to clean (delete) our catsettings several times a day, it corrects the pb....

check your env file to find out where your catsettings are...

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

This is a bug which is very difficult to reproduce therefore making it difficult for Dassault to solve. Exit CATIA V5. If I remember correctly you must only remove the files FrameConig.CATSetting and DialogPositions.CATSetting. Then restart CATIA V5. Your toolbars will be reset and you will minimize your impact on you customized settings.

hi,

if you have an env defined with various default parameter/catsettings you lose only the user setting and not the env settings...

have a look on the online doc about settings an environment, it really helps...

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

We have seen this issue since at least V5R8. We are currently running V5R10SP03 in production and are currently testing V5R12SP03 in development.

The easiest fix we found is to delete the entire catsettings folder and re-open CATIA.

There are only certain files that need to be removed from this folder as one of the earlier respondents offered. However, we have gone through and set our toolbars the way we want all users to use them. Every morning, the CATSettings folder is automatically removed and rebuilt. This ensures everyone is using the same default settings.

I know if a user has gone through great efforts to personlize his or her own settings, it hurts to remove and rebuild this folder. Our user have been conditioned to not play with default settings. If a user finds that he needs a particular setting a certain way repeatedly, we will change it for everyone administratively.

Sorry if this is more info than you wanted, but I thought it might be useful to share methodology also.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back