Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disatance shutdown of a 2400Volt 200HP motor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

erniek

Industrial
Nov 2, 2010
Does anyone have any suggestion on what equipment I can use to shutdown a 2400 volt motor that is 3000' away from a control house or have any idea on how this should be done?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, I agree with David. A motor will have a motor starter, so "shutting it down remotely" merely involves removing the Run command. But doing that from 3000' away does present some issues. What are your other needs? Budget? Safety issues?

But just to throw in another plug, that's what a local EE would be doing for you...

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

You could always just reach over and plug the plug out of the wall socket......

You'd need a big plug. A sturdily mounted wall socket. 8<) And wouldn't ever do it twice.

(On a more serious note: At 3000 ft, when does it become impracticable to run a longer a and longer low voltage service/control lead wire (and all the grounding issues and conduit supports and road crossings, etc, etc. that it needs) and go to a wireless control system? Or are radio controls always ruled out because of their reliability and interference issues?

If this is a 120 V ac control circuit, 3000 feet is much too long to work reliably due to the capacitance in the circuit. You would need to use dc control and some interposing relays. But it's done all the time.

David Castor

There are some cute tricks to allow very long AC control circuits using various combinations of capacitors, burden resistors, rectifiers, etc. It can be done, but DC is much easier to deal with.

Solid-state relays with a DC input are your friend - they draw little current from the line (minimal volt-drop) and are very tolerant of input voltage (typically 3 - 32V DC). I used this method to control a remote pump station on a neighbouring site, with a loop length of well over a mile on 2.5mm² cable. It solved a long history of intermittent control problems, with various attempts including paralleled cores, and high drive-end voltages having been tried previously.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I will point out the obvious. It doesn't matter where the actual motor is. The info required is the location of the motor starter/controller relative to this control house. In the simplest form you run a pair of conductors between the 2 and switch a DC control voltage on and off, where this DC control voltage is used to switch the motor controller on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back