Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Disc brake

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnkayaker

Mechanical
Sep 13, 2005
US
Anyone have a model or dimensions for a Avid or Hayes caliper? I'm trying to add disc brakes to frame that only has cantilever mounts.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm working on some, Avid BB7, but it's not finished yet. What kind of file format do you need? I use SW2010 and can save/export to various formats. Not sure if you need additional information, but most of the disc brake manufacturers do have a certain amount of documents you can use to build your own drawings/models. Hope doesn't have usable drawings, Avid (SRAM group) also, Hayes did have some gif images of their CAD drawings, but nothing available now, so I understand what sort of frustration you must be facing. IS mount standards are available around in pdf format, but I guess you did that part of the homework.

STEP or IGES works. That's the brake that I'm using.

Yeah, I found some IS PDF's on the Hayes site and some really good overhaul and service parts manuals on the SRAM site, but no caliper info. I'll swap a model/print of my adapter for the caliper model.

Hope you don't mind waiting to the end of the weekend, one of my RAID drives just failed and even though I have a proper backup of files, no application to finish the job :(

No worries. I keep everything separated. On that machine only the operating system and applications for work. Everything else is on a separate machine (data, personal stuff etc)
These day hard disk drives are really not expensive - no wonder that some eventually have to fail... Especially if compared with software for business purposes...

Finally... For some reason, the whole bb7 file got garbled and useless. To compensate for the promise, I can offer a Hope brake calliper, no pads, though, however, it might be of some use. I'll be working on the Avid BB7 as time permits, but for now, I think I can't do anything more. Hope this this "Hope" calliper can help... Saved as IGES file.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=23fb5468-b2dc-4923-84b6-21f247604483&file=hope_disc_brake_caliper.zip
Just let me know if you can open it and do something useful with it. I only have SW and can't test how it opens in some other application. BTW, it's set to be a rear brake calliper

All right then. Just let me know if you need anything else that might be bike related. I mean, bicycle or tricycle related. I'd be glad to help if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back