Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Discharge Piping from Non-integral Separately Fired Superheater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Cowhand

Mechanical
May 31, 2017
US
I am reviewing some design blueprints for a plant expansion that has not yet been commissioned. Part of the design includes a non-integral superheater fed from a branch steam line. The piping to the superheater is marked non-boiler code, but the piping out of the superheater is marked boiler code until the first valve. I was under the impression that piping to and from a non-integral superheater was all non-boiler code. Why would the superheater outlet piping be considered boiler code? The engineering firm that did the design is no longer in business or I would ask them. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Jeff. Sorry I wasn't clear; I was referring to boiler code. I believe my situation is shown on 100.1.2(B3) which shows a non-integral superheater. This drawing is also included as 58.3.1C in older ASME Section I codes. This drawing shows steam piping to and from the superheater as non-boiler external piping, falling under Pressure piping. But the engineering firm has the superheater outlet steam piping as boiler external piping, falling under Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back