Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Discontinued ASTMs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

heidi

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2001
US
Is there any general path to follow in specifying material when an ASTM has been cancelled without substitution? Some manufacturers continue making material to a cancelled spec, like for example, ASTM A569. Even though the material is available, I am reluctant to specify its use since ASTM A569 has been discontinued. But since no substitution was provided by the cancellation notice I am not sure what to specifiy for commercial quality hot rolled steel sheet. I don't want to specify something that will be hard to obtain for a non-critical application.
I would appreciate any thoughts, in general, on use of cancelled ASTM specs and more specifically, substitutions for ASTM A569.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm interested in replies along this thread. We've invested hundreds of hours searching for obsolete specs, sourcing manufacturers, etc. This is a major problem for older aircraft.

For what it's worth, in aircraft application we follow a manual check and comparision of other specs (SAE, MIL-specs, ASTM, etc.) and substantiate alternate materials based on equivalent alloy composition, succeptability to corrosion, mechanical properties (tensile, compressive, shear strength, etc.), availability, and special applications (elevated temperature, etc). This can be a long and exhaustive process, but the internet helps to speed our search.

I hope you find a quick answer to your obsolete spec.

"Metals Handbook", published by ASM International (formerly American Society for Metals) lists obsolete ASM and SAE specs, many with current equivalents, chemical composition and mechanical properties.

The handbook is available in public libraries. It is also useful for finding foreign standard specs, eg DIN, British, French and Japanese Standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back